Friday, August 10, 2012

Brazil: visit or live here in your lifetime

Christ the Redeemer with the super moon Expatriates is a funny word. To me it sounds like you just got kicked out of the country and NOT on good terms! That is what I am, here in Brazil for 3 years now. I want to share my experiences with you. There is a very small percentage of the population that gets the opportunity to move to a foreign country. It can be challenging at times but mostly rewarding. Living in Brazil has really made me appreciate another culture. It also makes me realize how lucky I am to be an American. There are 2 amazing parts of Brazil that are at the top of my list. First, the people here are the most fantastic, happy, fun people I have ever met in my life. They could live in a van down by the river and they would still have a smile on their face and a skip in their step. It has been a pleasure to live here and know how wonderful the people are. Secondly, Brazil has the most amazing nature you have ever seen. monkey island in Parati We fed bananas to monkeys on a boat ride in the Atlantic Ocean! How cool is that? I have seen more creatures here in 3 years than I ever knew existed and I am pretty up to speed on the creature trivia. I have thousands more photos of animals and breathtaking scenery. I can't wait to share them all with you. Obviously for most people, the language barrier is the most difficult. Learning Portuguese when you're 40 years old is more challenging than you can imagine. But the people here make you feel at ease and try to help you understand and are the most helpful people I have ever met. I have to laugh sometimes when Americans say, you're in America, learn English! I challenge you all to move to another country and become fluent. Call me and let me know how long that takes! If you're a kid, it takes no time at all! If you plan to visit, you must get a tourist visa if you are a US citizen. They will no let you on the plane if you do not have one. It is not difficult to get but you need to go through the Brazilian consulate and it is an extra expense. As Brazil becomes a leader in the world economy with the BRIC nations (Brazil, Russia, India and China) it is a very exciting time to live here. The 2014 World Cup will be here in Rio soon followed by the Olympics in 2016. Brazil is the largest country in South America. It borders every country in South America except 2 (can you guess which ones?) It is also home to the 5th largest city in the world, Såo Paulo, although Rio de Janeiro is more famous throughout the world.

No comments: